Gale Street Shops, 1947
Becontree Estate was built for more than 100,000 war veterans and workers from East London, with the first 'Homes for Heroes', completed in 1921.
The estate is based in the London Borough of Barking & Dagenham. However, when the estate was first built it covered the parish areas of Barking (33%), Dagenham (50%) and Ilford (17%).
In 1965, Dagenham became part of the London Borough of Barking and Ilford became part of the London Borough of Redbridge.
In 1980 the borough of Barking was renamed Barking and Dagenham and in 1994, parts of the estate that fell in Redbridge were transferred to Barking and Dagenham.
To celebrate the centenary of the residents moving into the Becontree estate in 1921, Eastside Community Heritage has conducted oral history interviews with residents who reside on the estate or have previously lived at Becontree. As part of the project, Eastside Community Heritage interviewed the author Sylvia Kent, and held reminiscence sessions.